Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Not all it's cracked up to be...

Well, the clay I used on Witch Hazel's new head isn't all that it's cracked up to be...

I discovered, to my horror, that if this clay is too watered down or just too thin in general, that it will fissure if allowed to dry unevenly. And since the base is paper mache and not exactly a uniform shape, that's exactly what it did.
I'm attempting a repair by dousing all the cracks and, indeed, the entire surface with white glue. Fortunately, with all the paper maching I've been doing, there is plenty on hand. I buy this stuff by the gallon, literally.

It looks like it's holding up pretty good after the glue dried and I will be attempting to patch up some of the worse cracks with more mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment