Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Rose by Any Other Name...

I've picked up an interesting trait when working on my Halloween props. Each of them (that are vaguely humanoid at least) has to be named. I'm not sure why I do it.

I know the origin of my first named prop: Ded-Bob. Ded-Bob was a puppet that was controlled from behind using a harness and rods for the arm. The name comes from a show Mary and I saw years back at the Michigan Renaissance Festival, in Holly MI. That Ded-Bob was a smart-mouthed puppet. The name must have stuck in my memory and popped out when I started working on my project. Since I needed an easy "title" for the project, I applied it, and there we go.

The next prop to be named with my FCG. FCG is a "Flying Crank Ghost", basically a figure being animated by an overhead crank pulling on ropes that are attached to the arms and head of the figure. I used barber's mannequin head I'd gotten from the local Barber school (they gave me a whole trash bag full of them) that was female. My wife had a friend named Sarah at the time and I started using that name in regards to the FCG before I realized the possible connection...

Since that time, they've been joined by Ded-Fred, Witch Hazel, Eddie, Bert, Ernie, Billy, Phil, Charlotte, Homer, Little Jimmy, Bucky, Moe, Larry, Curly, et al. I think naming them tends to make me think of them as individual works,  not not just "the FCG" or "paper mache pumpkin #4". I don't really start a project anymore without thinking of a good name.

At this point, I'm working on a couple of "Weeping Angel" statues, one passively weeping, the other lungeing. I think they will be Angelica and Lilith...

No comments:

Post a Comment